Help Desk Support FAQ
PeaceWorks’ customers run robust antivirus software that offers virus protection. A full system scan will ensure most viruses are detected. However, common problems may include a browser homepage hijack or unwanted software (or both). To fix these issues:
- Browser homepage hijacks: often solved by resetting your browser’s homepage
- Most unwanted software (aka PUPs – Potentially Unwanted Programs): usually can be removed by:
- Removing the add-in/plug-in from your web browser
- Uninstalling the program through the Control Panel
If the problem persists, or spreads to more than one machine, contact PeaceWorks.
If you see an error on startup:
- Try rebooting your computer.
- If, after rebooting, you see a message about windows having shutdown abnormally that asks you what to do, choose: “Start Windows Normally”.
- If your computer seems to be functioning correctly, continue to use it.
- Make sure to make note of the error.
If the error persists, or occurs a second time, contact PeaceWorks.
If your computer will not power on:
- Ensure the computer and monitor have power.
- Try unplugging the computer for 30 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Try restarting.
If it still does not start up, contact PeaceWorks.
Check to see if other people in your office can print. If not, contact PeaceWorks or try to:
- Go to “Devices and Printers”
- Check that the printer you want is there and online
- Print a test page (right click on printer, choose Printer Properties, and click Print Test Page)
- If a page does not come out, reboot and try a test page again
- If a page does come out you will know that the issue is with the application, and not the printer.
If it still does not work, contact PeaceWorks.
Step 1: In most cases, holding down the power button for the count of five will shut down the system. To guarantee the power is off you can unplug the machine. Laptop users should remove the battery as well.
Step 2: Restart the system: if you see a message about windows having shutdown abnormally that asks you what to do, choose: “Start Windows Normally”
If this fails, contact PeaceWorks
There could be a variety of reasons, you can:
• Reboot – try restarting your computer and see if that fixes the issue.
• Check cables – make sure everything is securely attached.
• Check for small switches. Power cycle them.
• Try plugging into a working network jack if you can.